Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: two-factor OTP systems

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () AUCKLAND AC NZ>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 07:54:40 +1200

On 3/04/2009, at 7:49 AM, Tyler T. Schoenke wrote:
I think the big advantage with text messages is that you can have
thirty
higher-risk accounts all sending texts to your cell phone.  That is
much
nicer than carrying around thirty tokens.

Why would you have 30 tokens?  We use RSA Securid tokens to secure a
variety of systems.  I carry one token.  It i just one more
centralised authentication system.   RSA and others have soft tokens
that run in phones as well.

One catch with the sms verification is tha sms is not a 'reliable'
protocol.  Messages do occasionally get lost and sometimes delayed,
quite apart from the issues of flat batteries and the like.
Personally I would not want to rely on cell phone for timely access to
critical systems.  That not to say that there are some applications
where this model may work well -- password resets for instance?

Russell