Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: two-factor OTP systems

From: "Tyler T. Schoenke" <Tyler.Schoenke () COLORADO EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 12:49:53 -0600

WARNING: The following message makes use of the word "PASSWORD" and may be an attempt to obtain your password. Texas
Tech University employees or students should never request password information from you for any reason.  In accordance
with TTU IT Security Policies (http://www.depts.ttu.edu/infotech/security), you must not reveal your password
information to anyone.  If you believe that the message below is an attempt to steal your password, forward this
message to security () ttu edu and do not respond to this message.

Gary,

I agree with you about using cell phones for two-factor authentication.
  I think that is the most practical solution for most vendors.  Like
you said, high-risk environments will want to continue using token
devices.

I recall hearing about China using cell phone text messages to
authenticate credit card transactions.  When someone makes a purchase,
the vendor swipes the card, and the credit card company texts an
authorization code to that person's phone.  They tell the code to the
vendor, who keys it back in to complete the transaction.  So if someone
steals your credit card info, they can't use it without also stealing
your cell phone.

I think the big advantage with text messages is that you can have thirty
higher-risk accounts all sending texts to your cell phone.  That is much
nicer than carrying around thirty tokens.

Tyler

--
Tyler Schoenke
IT Security Office

Gary Flynn wrote:
jeff murphy wrote:
I'm looking for experiences/recommendations on two-factor OTP systems
suitable for plugging into RADIUS and/or Active Directory.

I'd be particularly interested in systems that can use smartphones as
the token generator. Google lead me to:

http://www.deepnetsecurity.com/products2/MobileID.asp

but I haven't found much else on that front.

Did you get any other responses? I'm interested in using
phones too. I ran across the following a while back but
I'm getting ready to start looking again...

http://www.phonefactor.com/
http://motp.sourceforge.net/

There is a lot of stuff on the net now
http://www.google.com/search?q=cell+phone+authentication&hl=en&start=30&sa=N

It seems to me using cellphones that most people carry
these days as a second factor would do a lot to get
rid of reusable passwords at a reasonable cost with
a lot less impact than singe use token devices. This would
be particularly useful for populations and applications
where mandating a more traditional two factor system
where justification was marginal.

I know the cell phone based schemes aren't as strong as
traditional 2-factor but if they're more likely to be
implemented and stop 98% of the problems with reusable
passwords, what's not to like? Stronger methods can be
reserved for those applications where that 2% poses a
high risk.

Heck, even I finally broke down and got a cell phone
a couple years ago when I said I never would. Now
I'm looking for a smart phone (actually a mobile
computer with voice capabilities). :)