Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password Complexity and Aging

From: Doug Markiewicz <dmarkiew+educause () ANDREW CMU EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 08:56:56 -0400

I don't see anyone making a distinction between the IT resources involved.  Perhaps a two-tiered
password change policy makes more sense.  I think that it could be argued that there is a larger
problem if server/system passwords aren't changed on a reasonable schedule versus the risk involved
with a faculty or computer lab system.  Is it more palatable to require a frequent change for critical
or sensitive systems and a less frequent (once per semester?) change for all other systems?  I think
if you toss in account lockout after X number of failed login attempts and complex (8 characters, 1
upper case, 1 special, 1 number) passwords across all systems, you can pretty effectively mitigate
most brute force attacks.

That is what we do.  We only expire passwords for enterprise applications (where a good portion of the important stuff
is kept).
The ironic thing is these accounts, given network placement and other controls, are probably less susceptible to brute
force
attacks, interception, etc. than regular accounts.  :-)