Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password Complexity and Aging

From: "David L. Wasley" <dlwasley () EARTHLINK NET>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 18:15:51 -0700

I too tend to be suspicious of forced password changes.  Brute force
attacks can be mitigated in other ways.  Potential sharing of
passwords is also a weak argument since anyone who shares will share
again.  If they share they should know they will be held responsible
for any consequences, and be given an alternative if there is good
reason to share access.

Some years ago, in the organization in which I worked, one of the
offices required monthly changes of all desktop user passwords.  This
of course was frustrating for the 40+ people in that office so
someone there came up with a solution: the department's secretary
kept all the passwords on a piece of paper in her unlocked file
cabinet.  Each month she would change everyone's individual password
to contain a different "last 2 digits" - representing the month
number (01, 02, 03 ...).  A lot of work for her but easy for everyone
to remember.
Yes - Everyone!   (I suggested they at least lock the file cabinet ...)

        David

-----