Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password Complexity and Aging

From: Mike Waller <mwaller.distro () GMAIL COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 00:15:07 -0400

You can also help fight brute force attacks with counters that lock the
account for a short period of time after a certain number of failed
attempts. These locks won't eliminate the possibility of brute force, but
now you've made the attacker stop trying for 5-15 minutes every 5-10 failed
attempts. Do the math on that and most sane attackers are going to look
elsewhere.

All of these things are just pieces of defense in depth. In a security-only
world where productivity and convenience had no place, we'd all have
massively complex passwords that changed with each login. In the real world,
we find the right mix of compromises for our environments. We make the
passwords "strong enough", we change them "often enough", we lock them up
after "enough" failed attempts. Ultimately, you're adding the controls
together until you get to a point where you have "enough" protection to
cover your risk tolerance.