Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SSL VPN

From: David Hale <ddh () MTU EDU>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 09:22:36 -0500

  We run an F5 FirePass SSL VPN that we have been very happy with.  Students, faculty, and staff all use it to connect
to various resources both on an off campus.  Students mainly use it for off-campus access to their home directories.
We have also blocked a number of access methods to our administrative databases unless the user goes through the VPN
server.

  We evaluated several products 3 years ago before settling on F5.  At the time it had all of the features and clients
that we needed (Windows, OS X, Linux, Solaris).  Juniper came in a close second.  Since then every time I look at the
two they seem to leap frog each other in desirability if I were to choose again.  (I don't think you would go wrong
with either product)

--
David Hale, GCIA  <ddh () mtu edu>
ITSS Senior Security Officer