Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SSL VPN

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 12:21:05 -0500

Mike Wilber wrote:
I was wondering what other colleges and universities are using to allow
Faculty, staff and students to connect remotely (from off campus) to
their group and home directories to access their personal files?

IPSEC VPN is our recommended way for people to reach their
Netware based resources.

BTW, I coincidently received the following message right after
yours...

NIST announces that Draft Special Publication 800-46 Revision 1,
Guide to Enterprise Telework and Remote Access Security, has been
released for public comment. SP 800-46 Revision 1 is intended to
help organizations understand and mitigate the risks associated with
the technologies they use for telework. The guide emphasizes the
importance of securing sensitive information stored on telework
devices and transmitted across external networks, and it also
provides recommendations for selecting, implementing, and
maintaining the necessary security controls. Draft SP 800-46
Revision 1 is a comprehensive update to the original SP 800-46,
which was published in 2002.

NIST requests comments on draft SP 800-46 Revision 1 by
March 27, 2009. Please submit comments to 800-46comments () nist gov
with "Comments SP 800-46" in the subject line.

URL to Draft SP 800-46 Revision 1:
http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/PubsDrafts.html#800-46-rev1

--
Gary Flynn