Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: phishing irony

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 11:15:59 -0500

Tupker, Mike wrote:
I may be too cynical but just adding the warning won't help to "alert" users that it is a spam message. A good chunk of
users will just ignore certain parts of an email and go straight to the questions that the email is asking.

We've received phish messages containing warning text we post to
our web sites:

" JMU will never ask for your password via email. DO NOT provide
  it regardless of circumstance."

Yeah, some folks responded.

I sent out a warning to our campus yesterday with an example of an email to watch out for and actually got responses
with login information. It was very sad day for me.

Same experience here.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer