Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Downloading music at work

From: Buz Dale <buz.dale () USG EDU>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 10:46:31 -0400

I'd be worried about other licensing issues.  From BMI:

When you purchase a record, tape, CD or mp3 the purchase price covers
your private listening right only. Once you decide to play these in
public - such as in a restaurant, bar, café or telephone music-on-hold
service - it becomes a "public performance." The copyright owners of
musical works have the exclusive right of public performance. Therefore,
any public performances by others require permission.

Not that I like it.  I just think it should be considered.

Buz

Theresa Semmens wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the music would be allowable if it is used in a
face-to-face classroom setting for the purpose of education.  Giving the
students a copy of the music might not be appropriate.

Theresa Semmens, CISA
NDSU IT Security Officer
PO Box 6050
North Dakota State University