Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Downloading music at work

From: Bill Lantry <wlantry () GMAIL COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 11:23:51 -0400

The Copyright office has four tests for fair use. They're all over the
place, but here's a handy link:
http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/copyright/fairuse.html

   - the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of
   a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes -- uses in
   nonprofit educational institutions are more likely to be fair use than works
   used for commercial purposes, but not all educational uses are fair use.

   - the nature of the copyrighted work -- reproducing a factual work is
   more likely to be fair use than a creative work such as a musical
   composition

   - the amount and significance of the portion used in relation to the
   entire work -- reproducing smaller portions of a work is more likely to be
   fair use than large or essentials portions

   - the impact of the use upon the potential market for or value of the
   copyrighted work -- uses which have no or little market impact are more
   likely to be fair than those that interfere with potential markets.

Any argument for fair use needs to pass all of those tests, especially the
last one.

Bottom line (1): Yes, this would be an infringement, as there's a quite real
potential revenue loss to the copyright holder.

Bottom line (2):  This is one of those cases where it's way easier to ask
forgiveness than permission. But ask Georgia State how well that argument's
working for them... ;)
http://chronicle.com/news/article/4319/publishers-sue-georgia-state-u-for-copyright-infringement

Thanks,

Bill