Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Dragonfly

From: "Kellogg, Brian D." <bkellogg () SBU EDU>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 13:11:06 -0400

My main concern lies in the fact that ports need to be opened incoming
to the computers using Dragonfly.  Relaying through a central server
would be much easier to secure since we would know exactly where traffic
is going to and coming from; in this scenario shaping would be much
easier also.

We have a limited budget and therefore very limited bandwidth that needs
to be portioned out equitably.  Therefore priorities have to be set and
bandwidth apportioned properly.  P2P has the inherent ability to
overwhelm our limited bandwidth rather quickly.  So on the priority list
it takes a back seat.  I would personally love to not have to deal with
this, but it is a budgetary reality.

Thanks,

Brian Kellogg