Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Dragonfly

From: Justin Azoff <JAzoff () UAMAIL ALBANY EDU>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 12:45:59 -0400

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 13:27 -0400, Kellogg, Brian D. wrote:
Despite what Dragonfly says it is essentially a P2P application and
therefore, in my opinion, should be treated as such.

Suppose Dragonfly wasn't P2P based, and relayed all data through a
central server. If it worked that way, and still managed to use all of
your bandwidth, what would you do then?  I'm not saying you are wrong
for shaping this application, just that your justification for doing so
seems a bit odd.

Dragonfly isn't greedy, it is just efficient.  It opens a single tcp
connection and sends optimal sized packets.  You couldn't ask for a
better behaving application.

--
-- Justin Azoff
-- Network Performance Analyst