Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Dragonfly

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 13:46:02 -0400

Di Fabio, Andrea wrote:
Are there institutions using Dragonfly from http://www.dragonfly.com ?

Our Athletics department is also using it.

If so, I would be interested in hearing if you are shaping this
application's bandwidth or have taken any other measures to throttle it down
and control the IP addresses it talks to.

I just checked with out network folks and they said they
are limiting bandwidth consumption with our Packeteers.

One of our department has purchased the software and it seems to be very
bandwidth thirsty.  In addition the P2P model they are using seems not to
handle RFC1918 IP addresses so our internal sensors are triggering when
Dragonfly tries to connect to a peer over a private IP.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer