Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security Investigations

From: "David, Elaine" <elaine.david () UCONN EDU>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 09:50:27 -0400

At the University of Connecticut, the IT Security Office has a process
very similar to the one outlined by Clemson. All requests must be
approved by me or the CIO (as my backup) and requests may only be made
through specific individuals/offices.

In addition, we utilize a paper form which includes background
information and a separate section that is provided to the technician.
This section (separate from the rest of the form) specifies the tasks to
be performed by the technician and allows the technician to fill in the
information that has been provided and the format. We have the
technician create two copies of whatever materials are being turned
over. The second copy is labeled with the Incident # and locked up in
our Security vault. In this way if there are ever any questions as to
what we turned over, we can go to our copy. We also have a form that
allows us to maintain a signature of the person who accepted the
materials.

- Elaine

Elaine David
Assistant Vice President for Information Services
Director of Information Technology Security, Policy & Quality Assurance
University of Connecticut
Storrs, Connecticut 06269-3138
Phone: (860) 486-1362
Fax: (860) 486-5744
Email: Elaine.David () uconn edu

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: If you have received this e-mail in error,
please immediately notify the sender by e-mail at the address shown and
delete all copies of this message. This e-mail transmission may contain
information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential, or otherwise
legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the named addressee,
please be aware that you are not authorized to open, read, print,
retain, copy, or disseminate this message or any part of it. Thank you
for your compliance.