Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Paging - How do you receive?

From: "Jenkins, Matthew" <matthew.jenkins () FAIRMONTSTATE EDU>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 15:09:29 -0400

I hear you on the data plans.  Our institution gives us $40/mo to cover a cell phone, which is added onto our salary so
it is taxed.  That doesn't cover my base plan.

As far as Skytel pagers, I believe Skytel is the brand/company my dad used to use about 13 years ago.  There is a local
company here in our state that is a retailer.  His pager would work anywhere.  It used low frequencies or something.
When you paged him, if he was in a good spot it would page immediately.  Otherwise the page would be delayed by a
minute.  The pager service was expensive but it worked anywhere.

Matt

Matthew Jenkins
Network/Server Administrator
Fairmont State University