Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Paging - How do you receive?

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 09:52:49 -0400

Jenkins, Matthew wrote:
How do you receive your pages pertaining to security, network, server,
and/or other equipment?

Most of us have cell phones these days.  Currently we send e-mails to
the address that makes our phones receive a text message.  One of the
biggest problems, however, is that several of our technicians (including
myself) do not get good cell coverage where we live and/or travel each
day.

We found that generally, our pagers were dependent on the same carriers
as our cell phones, i.e. when one didn't have service, neither did the
other. So rather than carry two devices, our group has reverted to
receiving pages on our cell phones.

--
Regards,
-- Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"All computers wait at the same speed."