Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: FYI: Another round of spear Phishing

From: Joel Rosenblatt <joel () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 13:23:50 -0400

We have seen them do this on Exchange though.  Mostly we see webmail also.  We have seen lots of other types of spam
then 419 - usually, they will sacrifice a
few of the first passwords to send as many phishes out as they can - they reserve most for later income producing use.
We have seen them start to use an ID
within an 30 minutes of the genius sending them the password.

Joel Rosenblatt