Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DMCA madness from NBC/Universal...??

From: Bob Bayn - IT Network Security <Bob.Bayn () USU EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 11:23:44 -0600

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 13:17:47 -0400 John Lupton <lupton () ISC UPENN EDU> wrote:
Last evening we received a raft of DMCA takedown notices from NBC/Universal.
Virtually all of them contained claimed infringement dates/times going back
to May 4 - 19, i.e., pretty old. More than that, though, there were numerous
instances where the same complaint was sent as many as three times, so for
example, what appears to be 40 complaints actually pares down to 15 or so.

Just our good luck, or is anyone else seeing this?

Do these people actually know what they're doing?

I saw the same thing here.  Multiple copies of complaints that were nearly
2 months old.

Bob Bayn
Security Team Coordinator
Utah State University