Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: FYI: Another round of spear Phishing

From: Ken Connelly <Ken.Connelly () UNI EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 11:04:05 -0500

Probably doesn't matter since they don't use either POP or IMAP to send
their spam.  Virtually everything I've seen in this area revolves around
logging in to a webmail client and sending from that, generally
automated and scripted.

- ken

Gasper, Rick wrote:
I want to ask a rather simple question: if a spear phisher gets the account info, does it really matter if they use Imap or
pop to connect? The way I see it, once they have the keys, it doesn't really matter if the use the front door or the
back door. I could be missing something and if so please let me know.

Rick Gasper
Manager, Network Services
King's College
133 N. River St