Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: .edu email phishing

From: Martin Manjak <mm376 () ALBANY EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 09:25:42 -0400

Not to muddy the waters, but we starting using these signatures at the
beginning of March and I haven't had any problems receiving messages on
this list. The sigs do catch a lot of garbage, but we're still getting
the phishing emails.
M-

Mike Iglesias wrote:
Dave Koontz wrote:
Tim, if you are running Barracuda (Spam Assassin) with ClamAV, check
out Sane Security's Phishing and Scam signatures.  They do a great
job of catching these phishing messages and most of the others out
there (like eBay, banks, etc.)   Just schedule an update to run
periodically.

http://www.sanesecurity.co.uk/clamav/downloads.htm

We've started using these signatures recently, and they are working.
They work a little *too* well, and have caused some of us to be
dropped from some mailing lists (like this one) because people are
posting the phishing email messages that have been sent to their
campuses to the list (which I'm not complaining about), the Sane
Security rules catch them, and the email is rejected during delivery.
After some number of delivery failures, Listserv drops you from the
list.  So either subscribe using an email address that doesn't get run
thru the rules or exempt this list (and any others that might have
sample phishing email posted to them) from rule checking.

--
Martin Manjak
Information Security Officer