Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: .edu email phishing

From: Dave Koontz <dkoontz () MBC EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 17:48:53 -0400

Remember, the signatures them self don't block messages, sounds like
your MTA is somehow configured to do so based upon scan results.
Typically, these are used to increase the spam weight  score of a given
message.  Combined with other rules like AWL, Bayesian and whitelists
should pose no problem.  I've never once missed a message here as a
result nor been removed from any lists.  A couple of my spam assassin
rules are:

meta CLAMAV_SANE (CLAMAV && __CLAMAV_SANE)
describe CLAMAV_SANE SPAM found by ClamAV SaneSecurity signatures
score CLAMAV_SANE 5.0

meta CLAMAV_MBL (CLAMAV && __CLAMAV_MBL)
describe CLAMAV_MBL Malware found by ClamAV MBL signatures
score CLAMAV_MBL 3.0

meta CLAMAV_MSRBL (CLAMAV && __CLAMAV_MSRBL)
describe CLAMAV_MSRBL SPAM found by ClamAV MRSBL signatures
score CLAMAV_MSRBL 2.0

Mike Iglesias wrote:
Dave Koontz wrote:
Tim, if you are running Barracuda (Spam Assassin) with ClamAV, check
out Sane Security's Phishing and Scam signatures.  They do a great
job of catching these phishing messages and most of the others out
there (like eBay, banks, etc.)   Just schedule an update to run
periodically.

http://www.sanesecurity.co.uk/clamav/downloads.htm

We've started using these signatures recently, and they are working.
They work a little *too* well, and have caused some of us to be
dropped from some mailing lists (like this one) because people are
posting the phishing email messages that have been sent to their
campuses to the list (which I'm not complaining about), the Sane
Security rules catch them, and the email is rejected during delivery.
After some number of delivery failures, Listserv drops you from the
list.  So either subscribe using an email address that doesn't get run
thru the rules or exempt this list (and any others that might have
sample phishing email posted to them) from rule checking.