Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: .edu email phishing

From: "Winders, Timothy A" <twinders () SOUTHPLAINSCOLLEGE EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 16:06:37 -0500

Tim, if you are running Barracuda (Spam Assassin) with ClamAV, check
out
Sane Security's Phishing and Scam signatures.  They do a great job of
catching these phishing messages and most of the others out there
(like
eBay, banks, etc.)   Just schedule an update to run periodically.

http://www.sanesecurity.co.uk/clamav/downloads.htm

According the the news article on the sanesecurity website, Barracuda
uses the filters as part of their "multi-layer defence".

http://www.sanesecurity.co.uk/clamav/news.htm

The way I read this, I don't have to do anything as all our inbound mail
is already filter through our Barracuda.

Tim Winders | Associate Dean of Information Technology | South Plains
College