Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Laptop

From: Harold Winshel <winshel () CAMDEN RUTGERS EDU>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 11:12:22 -0400

If your notebook is stolen and there is sensitive data that is not
encrypted then you're risking it being treated as a data incident
with its required reporting.  The damage to an organization of a
breach of data can be exponentially greater than the dollar loss of
the value of the hardware.

Additionally, users likely have sensitive data on their notebooks
even if they say they don't or if they are unaware that they do.  I,
for one, would not base a notebook security strategy on an unproven
assumption that most notebook thefts are stolen for reasons other
than the data.  For one, I don't think you have any way of proving
that assumption - short of interviewing the thieves who, of course,
you wouldn't even know who most of them are.  Also, even if you think
that most notebook thefts are not for the data, why ignore protection
for the ones that you think are not.