Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Laptop

From: Steven M Werby/FS/VCU <smwerby () VCU EDU>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 09:09:42 -0400

We started using Computrace this year.  All of our new machines arrive
w/ Computrace.  We also are retrofitting our existing machines.  Each
department is responsible for purchasing their own licenses.  So far we
have 1091 licenses purchased and no major issues.  We haven't had a
machine reported stolen, so I cannot comment on the recovery.

I joined VCU about a month ago so I don't have a lot of details, but VCU
has a relationship with Lenovo (http://g2g.vcu.edu/g2g-main.html) to make
laptops available for sale to students and Computrace LoJack is an option
available for $90 for a 4 year license.  I had a conversation recently
with a member of the University's police department and I was told that
they were involved in the recovery of student laptops last academic year
because of LoJack.

--
Steve Werby
Information Security Officer