Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Laptop

From: "Basgen, Brian" <bbasgen () PIMA EDU>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 08:42:04 -0700

 I think this thread is getting a bit at cross-purposes.

 Lo-jack/Computrace address a different need than Full disk encryption.
FDE is largely compliance driven by the 44 states that now have data
breach notification laws. Lo-jack is driven by an operational need to
minimize the impact of theft. Valdis' response is a good response to
critique about problems in theft deterrence.

 I don't think anyone has suggested that theft prevention techniques
satisfy the legal requirements of data breach notification. IANAL, but
the mere act of losing the defined data is cause for notification -
intent, probability, or any other attempt to characterize the nature of
the incident as a loss, theft, etc was intentionally made irrelevant by
lawmakers.

Brian Basgen
Information Security
Pima Community College