Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Laptop

From: Zach Jansen <zjanse20 () CALVIN EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 14:53:03 -0400

There are a few major players in the area, Utimaco, Safeboot, Pointsec, PGP and a couple of others. Do you need mac
support or do you plan to use filevault? AFAIK only Pointsec currently has a Mac client, though Utimaco is planning to
release one in the fall. Do you need Novell support? I don't think any of the vendors supports it well, though Utimaco
did the best in our testing. Some vendors don't support it at all. Who is your AV vendor? Check with them to see if
they own or partner with a vendor (Mcafee and Symantec do for sure), you may be able to get better pricing from them.
If you have a pretty standard configuration (Microsoft only, Active Directory), and you're not looking for extra
features beyond encrypting the drive and reporting back that the drive is encrypted, the products are pretty similar.

If you're in the public education sector you may be able to get on the GSA contract described here:
http://www.privacy.ohio.gov/resources/SafeBoot/SafeBootCoopFAQ.pdf I'm told we would have been able to get that pricing
if we weren't a private college.

As far as full disk vs file/folder encryption, the general thought is that nobody trusts the users to know what files
to encrypt. Unless you have the machines locked down so they can't put confidential information in unencrypted folders,
I don't think this is a good idea. Not to mention the threat of sensitive information showing up in page or temp files
that aren't encrypted. I chose to go with a FDE solution because of this, which is why I avoided Credent.

I don't have any experience here with the lo-jack type products. They seem really nice, but we don't lose enough
laptops to justify the cost.

Zach

On 6/11/2008 at 12:57 PM, in message <485003F0.5090901 () wayne edu>, Chuck