Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RIAA Notices (what do they notice?)

From: Willis Marti <wmarti () TAMU EDU>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 13:30:49 -0500

Scholz, Greg wrote:
I think your right and the report is confused...but I think we have
all looked at this as a "we believe" rather than a confirmed
situation.

Not the way I read it. Quoting (lots of samples to chose from):
We believe a user's account on your network was used to reproduce
and/or distribute unauthorized copies of one or more copyrighted
sound recordings.  We have attached below the details of the
infringing activity.
 This is a stronger assertion than saying something *may* happen. This
alleges it did happen.

We have a good faith belief that this activity is not authorized by
copyright owners, their agent, or the law. We are asking for your
immediate assistance in stopping this unauthorized activity.
Specifically, we request that you remove or disable access to the
infringing sound recording.
The good faith belief only comes in concerning whether it was/is an
authorized activity.

-----Original Message----- From: The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent
Group Listserv [mailto:SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU] On Behalf Of
Bob Bayn Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 11:16 AM To:
SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU Subject: Re: [SECURITY] RIAA Notices
(what do they notice?)

rick.holland () UTDALLAS EDU wrote:
Anyone see this? Mysterious Multiplication of Copyright Complaints
 http://insidehighered.com/news/2008/05/06/riaa

A statement in the article led me to doubt what I thought I
understood about this whole process.  Please help me out.

"college technology experts - lacking an explanation from industry
officials for the upturn - suspect that the recording industry has
altered the standards it uses to allege illegal behavior, targeting
not only instances in which computer users have actively shared music
 illegally, but instances in which they have stored downloaded music
in a folder visible to other users, opening the way to a potential
violation."

I was always under the impression that the RIAA et al complaint
alleges that the music is _available_ for download as detected by
their (automated?) implementation of the same p2p protocol and not
that they were documenting an actual unauthorized downloading (with
the possible exception of their own download of the discovered file).
 I was not aware that they ever had any means of detecting, as a
third party, any actual downloading actions between other parties.

Am I confused or is the reporter?

--
Cheers,
 Willis Marti