Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

is anyone getting energy savings on PCs using WOL or the like

From: David Grisham <DGrisham () SALUD UNM EDU>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 10:08:59 -0600

As a corporate component of our university we traditionally applied patches and updates during the night to our PCs.
This way our clinics and floors did not see interruptions to their workstations during business hours.  We would like
to go green and turn off these workstations when possible.

We would like to start letting our staff turn off workstations & wake them a couple hours before business and apply
necessary maintenance.  Does anybody have a tool for this process that is understood by the workstation to be
authorized and not a network probe that we would be blocking with network tools (e.g. blocking Smurf)?

Cheers.-grish
David Grisham, Manager ITSecurity, UNMH