Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: OS Vuln Scanners

From: John Ladwig <John.Ladwig () CSU MNSCU EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 12:06:16 -0500

We're liking nCircle in pilot/rollout for a large (35 institutions, ~70 locations, and ~100k endpoints) system with
lots of delegated responsibility.  And the mindsset that it's *managing" vulnerabilities, not purely finding them.
Though nCircle appears to keep up about as well as other vuln scanners on a network-services, so far.

We haven't done a lot of work with authenticated scanning of hosts as yet, but the early adopters are pretty happy, and
it does seem to be very effective on Windows machines, at least on MS vulns.  We haven't done a detailed tracking of
authenticated scanning versus 3d party application vulns as yet..

    -jml

John Ladwig -
Minnesota State Colleges and Universities
ITS
Wells Fargo Place
30 7th St. E., Suite 350
St. Paul, MN  55101-7804

Email: John.Ladwig () csu mnscu edu
Voice: +1.651.201.1458
Fax: +1.651.917.4731
IM: xmpp:ladwigjo () jabber its mnscu edu

Aaron Kirby <akirbyco () GMAIL COM> 2008-04-18 11:27 >>>
I've seen nCircle used with pretty good success in distributed environments.

Rick Holland wrote:
Kevin Lanning wrote:
I'd appreciate info from list members regarding  best products in
this category from your real life experience as a security
professional in higher ed.

thanks,
Kevin,

We have an ISS appliance, but I actually prefer using Nessus.  We also
use Languard on windows hosts and I think that works well.