Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: New student username/password

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 22:47:50 -0400

Aaron Cayard-Roberts wrote:
Hello,

For years we've had students wait until they are on campus and have
attended a tech session before we give them their username and password.
 We've been under a lot of pressure to change this so that the students
will be able to access campus services over the summer which require a
username and password.

I'm wondering how other institutions are handling this situation in a
secure way.

Hi, Aaron,
'Cause we're Oberlin, and we won't have one directory where we can have
two ;-) it works out pretty well. We create the accounts for new
firstyears in late spring, and send them, as part of the Big Book o'
Forms, instructions on how to access our self-service password utility.
the password we send them is for one directory and is not useful off
campus but will enable them to enter their password recovery Q&A and
change their password to a "real" one, which then enables email and web
access to campus systems, like the room-selection site ResEd wants them
to use over the summer.

Hope this helps, ping me for more details if you like.

--
Regards,
-- Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"Drink! for you know not when you came, nor why; Drink! for you know not
why you go, nor where." --- Omar Khayyan, The Rubiay'at.