Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Firewall recommendations

From: Jarrod Millman <millman () BERKELEY EDU>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 15:00:39 -0800

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 2:41 PM, Jeff Holden <JHolden () mtsac edu> wrote:
We are looking at upgrading our campus's firewall.  We are currently using a
pair of end of life PIX 515s.  We have been looking at the Cisco ASA and
Juniper Netscreen products.  We are very early in our evaluation and haven't
talked with any venders yet.  We are wondering if any other campus has been
through this process recently and can offer any suggestions.  We are looking
at the bandwidth they can handle, price, added features such as VPN, IDS/IPS
functionality, likes and dislikes and any other helpful advise.    Currently
we are a mixed Cisco and HP shop, but are open to any and all vendors
solutions.

I have been very happy with Juniper's Netscreen appliances.

--
Jarrod Millman
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley