Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Firewall recommendations

From: "Avdagic, Indir" <indir_avdagic () WSU EDU>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 11:48:23 -0700

Juniper's ScreenOS supports IPv6 standards for their firewall/VPN
appliances, but not on all platforms.

Below are the platforms that support IPv6 listed by ScreenOS software
versions:

 5.0
(specific IPv6 software build)
   NS-5XT
  NS200
  NS500
  NS5200 with MGT (management  module 1)
 5.4
   ISG2000*

 6.0r1   ISG2000*
  SSG5**
  SSG20**
  NS5000 with MGT2 (management module 2)

 6.0r2
   ISG1000*
  ISG2000
  SSG5**
  SSG20**
  NS5000 with MGT2 (management module 2)

6.1r1   SSG-140
  SSG-320M
  SSG-350M
  SSG-520
  SSG-520M
  SSG-550
  SSG-550M
  ISG1000
  ISG2000
  NS5000 with MGT2 (management module 2)
  WAN Interface support***

*   IPv6 is not supported with IDP Security Module.
**  Only for Ethernet interfaces
*** WAN interface support included for E1/T1, E3/T3, and 2M Serial
interfaces for SSG devices only.

Also, Juniper Networks provide multiple best practices and guidance for
transitioning Federal Agencies to IPv6:

http://www.juniper.net/company/presscenter/pr/2005/pr-051208.html

http://www.juniper.net/solutions/literature/white_papers/200212.pdf

http://www.juniper.net/solutions/literature/solutionbriefs/351137.pdf