Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Firewall recommendations

From: "Consolvo, Corbett D" <cc72 () TXSTATE EDU>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 16:54:17 -0600

We are an ASA shop.  I would rate them as ok.  To me they are pretty speedy but not as full-featured/manageable as
others.  We are looking at some internal firewalling and are considering Astaro.  I have also heard pretty positive
reviews of Juniper Netscreen from a couple of other educational institutions.  We are implementing their SSL VPN
product and it has great functionality and logging.  While I have not tried the X-series from Tipping Point we do use
their IPS and that has been pretty positive as well.  Feel free to contact me directly with any questions.

Thanks,
Corbett Consolvo
Information Security Analyst
Texas State University