Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: E-Signatures

From: Ozzie Paez <ozpaez () SPRYNET COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 11:22:29 -0700

Sara,
This is very interesting and timely, given the challenging and too often
frustrating environment out there.  One thing for all to remember is that
compliance does not equal security, something often lost on companies after
they spend a great deal of money on regulation driven security compliance.
Just consider that regulations generally change slowly and incrementally,
while new security threats can quickly manifest themselves, evolve and
change their threat profile based on organizational and technology changes.
I have been involved in more than one case where compliance was assumed to
take care of the underlying need, i.e. quality, security, privacy, etc.,
only to have a major threat event compromise an aspect of a regulated
process and ultimately bring the wrath of the regulators.  My experience has
been that those who manage most organizations have such different
backgrounds from us who deal with threats, that they are often at a
disadvantage trying to appreciate these nuances.  But then again, the people
component is always the most challenging link in the chain.

Warm regards,

Ozzie Paez
SSE/CISSP
SDS