Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: E-Signatures

From: David Grisham <DGrisham () SALUD UNM EDU>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:14:16 -0700

I have not seen much follow-up on this request.  We are documenting an electronic signature procedure for providers who
verify dictation inside of our patient record.  CMS and The Joint Commission require a documented procedure.  In this
situation we are using electronic signatures and not the digital signatures which are very different for the state of
New Mexico.  Although we are not currently looking at including researchers and implementing FDA standards.  It is
being discussed on our academic side.
I will be glad to share our operational draft process for E -signatures in the medical record.  Please send requests to
dgrisham () salud unm edu.
Cheers.-grish
David Grisham
Manager, IT Security, UNM Hospitals

Faith Mcgrath <faith.mcgrath () YALE EDU> 1/10/2008 3:09 PM >>>
I am also interested in what people are using for electronic signatures
if they need to certify that they are in compliance with FDA Electronic
Records; Electronic Signatures regs -- 21 CFR Part 11
(http://www.fda.gov/ora/compliance_ref/part11/). I am just being to do some background reading on the requirements, but
we are beginning to see this requirement related to pharmaceutical research protocols. Thanks. -fm

Harrold Ahole wrote:

Is anyone doing any work with e-signatures within their applications?
I'm not talking about crypto-based digital signatures.  Rather, we
need something that is the equivalent of someone signing a piece of
paper to attest that the contents are correct.  Some applications
we've seen just have something like "type your name in this field to
sign this form".  A campus customer is looking for something more
comprehensive than that.  What are other people doing short of
implementing PKI or using login credentials as a signature?

Well, the first thing to decide is what you want to accomplish.  The US
Esign law allows "type your name" as a form of electronic signature
simply because it's very natural to show consent (willful action).
The first consideration is how do you authenticate the user at the time
they take this action?  Depending on the application, it could be very
little, such as if they are requesting the purchase of a transcript, in
which authentication may not be too high provided they also pay by
credit card.  If the user is logged into a campus application, you can
certainly use that as a credential for authentication.

The next consideration is to create a reliable electronic record, one
that can be shared with all parties involved.  This is typically done
with digital signatures, but of course other methods are likely
acceptable if they can be shown to reflect the agreed upon document and
are stored in a manner suitable to show non-modifiable archived storage
(such as when paper docs are scanned to microfilm, it's generally
assumed that the microfilm version is accurate as it's hard to tamper
with).

Harry

--
Faith McGrath, Associate Director
Yale University ITS - Information Security

Please be aware that email communication can be intercepted in
transmission or misdirected. Please consider communicating any sensitive
information by telephone, fax or mail. The information contained in this
message may be privileged and confidential. If you are NOT the intended
recipient, please notify the sender immediately and destroy this
message. If you wish to confirm the content of this message and/or the
identity of the sender please contact me at the phone number given above.