Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blacklisted by Hotmail

From: Harrold Ahole <madman () MYEASTSIDE COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 19:58:38 -0800

Has anyone experienced being blacklisted by Hotmail?  In order to
remove our current "blacklisting" we have been advised by Hotmail that
we need to subscribe to their outsourced 'Sender Score Certified
Program', however actually talking with anyone at Hotmail about the
issue and its resolution is proving extremely challenging.

Cha-ching!  This program only makes sense if you are a bulk emailer, the
last I checked.  It's such a joke because they should simply allow
things to work if you have Sender ID configured and your email system is
not an open relay or otherwise not following standard email specs.

If anyone has had any experience with dealing with Hotmail on this
level any advice/recommendations would be appreciated as this is now
severely impacting our core business as many students have their email
forwarded to Hotmail, and we are therefore unable to send an email to
them.

Everyone generally finds Hotmail to be a pain to deal with, though we
found we could get some responses from them, though it took a day for
each exchange, meaning it takes a while to get through it all.  And then
you can find yourself back in the same boat a year later....ugh!

What's so frustrating is that hotmail email addresses are used for a lot
of spamming.  You'd think they'd make it easier for someone who is
personally contacting them to get white listed, and then let you know
if/when they suspect they are getting spam from your systems.  But it's
never easy and they make matters worse with people opening hotmail
accounts on a daily basis to send out spam or register for sites and
then never use the account again.

Good luck.
Harry