Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Group encryption solutions

From: Curt Wilson <curtw () SIU EDU>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 13:53:07 -0500

Thanks Derek. Are you handling scenarios where a workgroup all needs to
get to selected resources on a share? Using whole-disk in this case
doesn't really buy you much in case the server gets compromised, for
instance. I see the value of full disk in the case of theft, but when
you have 50 some ppl that need to get to access the data at varying
times throughout the day, how is this best accomplished? Ideally there
is some solution that will protect the data while it's on the server,
and while it's on the workstation as well, based on Active Directory or
LDAP group attributes.

We could create encrypted zip files now, with Secure Zip, but from what
I understand that approach doesn't really scale that well and you have a
static key that you have to pass around. When one person leaves the
group, you've got to redo everything to keep the knowledge of the
key/passphrase from leaking.  Does your PGP solution align with AD/LDAP
groups?

Thanks
CurtW

Tonkin, Derek K. wrote:
We use PGP's Universal Server product with a central server (running on
a VM).  We don't typically use it for individual file/folder encryption
although it can do that through the creation of encrypted zip files.  We
use it for whole-disk encryption because that way we don't have to worry
about the user remembering/caring enough to take the time to encrypt
sensitive files.  There is a slight performance hit which is more
noticeable on older machines but most users do not even notice it.
Universal Server also includes the option to encrypt and sign e-mails
and encrypt network shares and we are beginning to experiment with these
aspects of it as well.  If you have any questions about the
implementation feel free to ask.

Derek

-------------Baylor University-------------
Derek Tonkin
Information Security Analyst
Information Technology Services - Security
derek_tonkin () baylor edu        254-710-7061