Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: InfoSec Alert from University of Cincinnati

From: Gene Spafford <spaf () CERIAS PURDUE EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 11:19:20 -0500

We've been getting a series of these at Purdue over the last month.
The first few were obviously fakes because the return address was to a
site in the UK!  The last few have been a bit better (in the sense of
less obviously fakes) but still obviously not coming from inside the
university.

There have been some campus-wide alerts, and an article in the student
newspaper.  I suggested that the messages be filtered at the campus
spam gateway -- dunno if that was done (I get my email thru an
independent channel).