Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: InfoSec Alert from University of Cincinnati

From: Bob Bayn <Bob.Bayn () USU EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 08:53:08 -0700

We received a similar phish at cc.usu.edu last week, about 800
copies.  Since one copy went to our student newspaper address
and our followup message did, too, there was an article in that
paper about it.  Then the local newspaper picked up on it and
ran a headline article (on a slow newsday here, obviously).

See:  http://tinyurl.com/2jf834  or
http://media.www.utahstatesman.com/media/storage/paper243/news/2008/01/25/CampusNews/Phishing.Message.Targets.Usu.Webmail.Users-3169098.shtml
and  http://hjnews.townnews.com/articles/2008/01/26/news/news02.txt

We also received a message this morning from cert () SURFnet nl
asking for confirmation of the source IP because a similar
phish ("in Dutch, of course") was seen at TU Delft.

Bob Bayn
IT Security Team coord
Utah State University
Logan, Utah

We were hit by a very similar spear phishing attack early last week.=20
Ours was mostly sent to faculty/employees. A couple of them forwarded us =

the email and shortly after that I blocked our mailservers from=20
receiving or sending email to either of the addresses. I checked our=20
logs and luckily no one had tried to reply to that message (using our=20
mailservers anyway ) before I was able to block it.

I didn't notice the attack at first mainly because my spamassassin=20
settings caused it to get a high enough score that it went into my spam=20
folder. Obviously this was not the case for everyone.

A little more info available here:=20
http://coreservices.blog.gustavus.edu/2008/01/23/phishing-email-sent-to-g=
ustavus-accounts-yesterday/

Thanks,
Dan Oachs
Gustavus Adolphus College

Mclaughlin, Kevin (mclaugkl) wrote:

Hi Everyone:

Just some information I thought you might be interested in.

We were hit by a Spear Phishing attack on Friday. This attack proved=20
to be pretty successful against the members of our community and=20
caused a lot of extra work for our email services team over the=20
weekend. The attack basically asked members of our student email=20
community to send their passwords to a member of the UC email support=20
team (see actual email below). We had put an alert out via our IT and=20
technology listserve groups early Friday when we got wind of this but=20
surprisingly (or not surprisingly) a large percentage of our students=20
fell for this particular attack. What was even more interesting was=20
that our Mirapoint SPAM filters assigned this a low likelihood of SPAM =

value even though the =93From=94 and =93Reply To=94 addresses were comp=
letely=20
different domains.

-Kevin