Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: InfoSec Alert from University of Cincinnati

From: Ken Connelly <Ken.Connelly () UNI EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 09:31:00 -0600

I wouldn't expect anti-spam to care about the From: and the Reply-to: being different. While not necessarily a common occurrence, that's the proper way to get responses from mail you send from one address to go to another address.

I *would* expect anti-spam to fire if the header-from domain and the envelope-from domain were different and/or if those domains didn't match with the IP address of the smtp client sending the mail, but a disparate reply-to is legit.

- ken

Mclaughlin, Kevin (mclaugkl) wrote:

Hi Everyone:

Just some information I thought you might be interested in.

We were hit by a Spear Phishing attack on Friday. This attack proved to be pretty successful against the members of our community and caused a lot of extra work for our email services team over the weekend. The attack basically asked members of our student email community to send their passwords to a member of the UC email support team (see actual email below). We had put an alert out via our IT and technology listserve groups early Friday when we got wind of this but surprisingly (or not surprisingly) a large percentage of our students fell for this particular attack. What was even more interesting was that our Mirapoint SPAM filters assigned this a low likelihood of SPAM value even though the “From” and “Reply To” addresses were completely different domains.

-Kevin

UC Information Security has received a report of a new spear-phishing attempt against UC email users. Spear-Phishing is a phishing campaign tailored to a specific target group, using language or information to pacify suspicions of the target group.

This phishing attempt requests the user to send their password in a reply email. Please alert your communities to this threat and remind them that UCit will never ask for a password to be sent by email!

*The Phishing message looks like this. (Note that the return address is a yahoo account):*