Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: InfoSec Alert from University of Cincinnati

From: "David A. Batastini" <DavidB () URI EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 11:02:28 -0500

Kevin,

                The University of Rhode Island was also hit by a very
similar (the same) attack. Ours started Saturday morning around 10am. We
received ~60 rounds of the e-mail to an unknown number of recipients, and
are still in the process of cleaning up. Thankfully, we were able to
intercept all but 2 outgoing replies which significantly mitigated the risk.

We are using this as a means to educate our users. We've been in touch with
our campus newspaper and the Communications group to ensure something like
this does not have the same effect in the future.

The message sent to University of Rhode Island accounts: