Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SKYPE - What's the latest in terms of Risk...

From: Charlie Prothero <Charlie.Prothero () KEYSTONE EDU>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 21:07:11 -0500

I am not a lawyer, but this sounds like the "scanning" vs. "reading"
debate that recently ensued in regard to Gmail scanning for ad placement
purposes.  Most of our networks are the private property of our
respective institutions, and we have policy statements indicating that
the networks exist for institutional business purposes and that we
reserve the right to inspect traffic going through them.  An inline
scanner configured to execute institutional policy re: bandwidth usage,
QOS, etc, sounds like a good thing - provided it doesn't store what it
inspects.  Most of us already do this with packet shapers.  This device
just seems to take it a step further.

- Charlie