Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Incident Classifications

From: Bill Brinkley <wbbrinkley () GMAIL COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 20:28:43 -0500

Our classifications are a combination of a category and severity (critical,
high, medium or low). Several of our categories are from NIST Special
Publication 800-61 revision 1:
http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/drafts/sp800-61-rev1/Draft-SP800-61rev1.pdf

Investigation
Penetration Testing
Scans/Recon
Protected Information
Denial of Service
Malicious Code
Unauthorized Access
Inappropriate Usage
Multiple Component

--
Bill Brinkley
Sr. Security Analyst

On Dec 20, 2007 12:08 PM, Hull, Dave <dphull () ku edu> wrote:

Like Aaron Wade said, classifying the incident is going to depend to
some extent on the data that is on the compromised machine. In my past
life in a higher ed IT Security Office, our first questions asked after
discovering an compromised host went to the nature of the data on the
system. Was it HIPAA, FERPA or research covered by NDA or less sensitive
data?

Based on the answers to those questions we would escalate to full scale
forensics or tell the admin in charge to wipe the system, reinstall,
patch, etc.

Our "classification" system consisted of two different categories, "red
pill" or "blue pill". If it was a blue pill, the story ended and we
would return to business as usual, if it was a red pill then we'd have
to venture down the rabbit hole and things would get interesting.

Good luck.

--
Dave Hull, CISSP, GCIH, GREM, SSP-MPA, CHFI
Director of Technology

"The free world says that software is the embodiment of knowledge about
technology, which needs to be free in the same way that mathematics is
free."
-- Eben Moglen, Software Freedom Law Center