Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SKYPE - What's the latest in terms of Risk...

From: David Gillett <gillettdavid () FHDA EDU>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:23:52 -0800

  As long as the application continues to fall back to HTTP/HTTPS/FTP(?)
assigned ports if it finds its default ports blocked, essentially declaring
enterprise network policy to be the enemy of the application and its users,
then IMHO enterprise policy *should* forbid its use.
  We have taken the line that our current network infrastructure is not
engineered to carry voice (we're correcting that, but it will take some
time yet) and that if users find our campus phone system is not meeting
their needs, they should consult with our networks/telecomm group and not
just try to jury-rig their own alternatives piecemeal.

David Gillett
CCNP CISSP