Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SKYPE - What's the latest in terms of Risk...

From: Scott Koger <skoger () EMAIL WCU EDU>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 08:50:27 -0500

As long as the application continues to use encryption for the traffic, there is no way to inspect the traffic (huge
hole for unintended data leakage) and as with all consumer software you've really got to scrutinize the fine print of
the EULA - most have verbiage which allows them to push additional software on your system at some future date. While
it may be fine for Timmy to call his buddies in Europe on the cheap, I would strongly advise against it's use in the
enterprise - if for no other reason than the potential for injection of malware onto your systems. I have yet to see a
favorable review in any mainstream security trade rag.

M. Scott Koger, CISSP
Security Analyst
Information Technology
Western Carolina University