Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Laptop encryption

From: Paul Keser <pkeser () STANFORD EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 11:30:25 -0700

One of our Sysadmins is experimenting with the seagate solution.  So far
he likes it, no noticeable performance hit.  I like the fact that it is
OS agnostic.

We are also experimenting with EFS for windows and TrueCrypt for Linux &
Windows.  We haven't been able to find 1 vendor to support all 3
platforms yet, even PGP is only officially supporting Mac & Win these
days...and not even the boot disk on Mac.  I really wish they would port
TrueCrypt to Mac.   I also like forcefield for managing TrueCrypt on Linux.

I still have not been sold on whole disk encryption.  Encrypting the OS
makes sys admining the box that much more complex and the potential for
disaster is too great...I think I'd rather have the os in the clear so
it is easier to integrity check.

JMHO...

- -PaulK

Paul Keser
Assoc. Information Security Officer
Stanford University
650.724.9051
GPG Fingerprint:  DBA3 E20F CE91 28AA DA1C  4A77 3BD9 C82D 2699 24FB

David Taylor wrote:

There is also the Seagate drive that does whole disk encryption.  It also takes most of the performance hit since
most of the processing is done on the drive hardware. Has anyone had any experience with these?  I think they just
hit the market recently.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/129734/seagate_ships_supersecure_hard_disk_drive.html

David Taylor
University of Pennsylvania