Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Laptop encryption

From: Matthew Gracie <graciem () CANISIUS EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 09:01:55 -0400

Gary Flynn wrote:

Also as stopgap solutions, we're recommending File Vault for Macintosh
computers and Truecrypt for linux computers but again we presently have
no infrastructure to support or administer them.

On the Linux side, I've had a lot of luck with dm-crypt and LUKS for
full disk encryption; it allows multiple passphrases for decryption,
which is even better than escrow in my book.

It's a little clumsy on removable media, but for something like a
laptop's hard drive, it's great.

--Matt

--
Matt Gracie                         (716) 888-2403
Information Security Administrator  graciem () canisius edu