Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RDP and Campus Computers

From: Ozzie Paez <ozpaez () SPRYNET COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 19:01:50 -0700

Hello Everyone,
This is my first opportunity to provide some feedback and I hope that it
will help.  As background, I have worked in many environments doing Security
and other assessments in both the private and public sectors and regularly
get briefings from agencies relating to security issues band breaches.  With
that in mind:

There are three general categories of issues being raised by Jeni Li:
Technical (what we do with the tech stuff to secure information),
policy/management and people.  Any solution would have to address all three
and the technical side, including computer/network policies, procedures,
systems, etc., will only go so far in ensuring that policies are complied
with.  So, much of it will have to the dealt with through personnel
awareness and training and I don't mean some Computer Based Training module
that most trainees take just to get it over with.  We are dealing with how
people with different backgrounds see security and the need to comply
(unfortunately academia is one of the places where compliance with strict
security policies has had a problematic history).  There are steps that can
be taken to address the people solutions and ensure their efficacy, but that
goes well beyond e-mail.

On the technical side, once the policies and training are done, I recommend
that you consider working from home over a VPN as the equivalent of working
from the office.  The computer configuration, link, gateway, firewalls, etc.
should be considered nothing else but a long cable from campus to the
person's home.  So, if you trust them to access and look at sensitive
material in the office, then you can focus on the integrity of the computer
system and VPN link as the technical security solution.  In practice, if
someone really wants to get information from a computer screen, they will be
able to using everything from cut and paste to screen captures and digital
images.  Now, there are a few things that you could do to mitigate security
risks while users work over a VPN link from home, specifically:

1.  Limit them to using computers provided by the institution over which you
have administrative controls,
2.  Assuming 1, encrypt the hard drive and enforce password policies in case
of theft,
3.  Install and configure virus protection, personal firewall and intrusion
detection software on the system in a manner that complies with established
policies.  Do not let home users change the settings,
4.  Enforce updates so that, if the computer user fails to keep the
anti-virus and other protection up to date, the system will not be allowed
onto the network,
5.  Enforce digital fingerprinting on all sensitive documents and let them
know that, if the documents get out, they could be traced to the culprit,
6.  Monitor all external users in accordance with their profile, flagging
such things as activities during off hours, i.e. working at 3:30AM, working
while on vacation, multiple sign-ons with the same account, etc.  Check with
them on specific anomalies. This will do two things: Help you detect
unauthorized activities and remind the users that monitoring is being done,
7.  Log activities over the VPN links and regularly evaluate them - you may
be able to use an intrusion detection in this area to facilitate automated
monitoring and alerting.

Finally, all of the above assumes that documents and sensitive data are
properly classified/categorized and secured accordingly.  Remember that the
try and secure everything in the same way is the same as securing nothing.

There is much more - but at least these are some ideas that are not always
considered,

Best of luck!

Ozzie Paez
SSE/CISSP