Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RDP and Campus Computers

From: "Scholz, Greg" <gscholz () KEENE EDU>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 13:12:04 -0500

Interesting. We did something similar.

We moved to a terminal service server (only 5 or so concurrent users at
any one time so performance is not a concern at this point).

We let them access it either over SSL or IPSec. We really only advertise
the IPSec because even though you have to install it on the end machine
it is more comfortable for the end user (Cisco application access is
still kind of clunky). The IPSec only allows access to the TermServer -
or special access based on specific request/approval.

I saw someone else responded with how to disable your clipboard. I was
looking for this answer as well.

But I also have a question for the list on this topic.  The only real
complaint we have at this point is when users want to print a document
to their home computers. I think this is a bad idea in many ways but I
am being told I should look into if/how this can be done because a
"business process control" can/should keep them from printing the "bad"
document rather than a technical control that keeps everyone from
printing anything to their home computer.

What does the list think about this in general? And what about solutions
using IPSec or SSL VPN and/or terminal services?

Thank you,
Gregory R. Scholz
Director of Telecommunications
Information Technology Group