Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RDP and Campus Computers

From: "Aaron B. Bewley" <abewley () UARK EDU>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 11:28:42 -0600

contact your cisco rep.  They have a newish product ( the name has
escaped me ) that can sit on the server side ( where the info is
located) that allows the admin the ability to allow or disallow copying
data...whether it be to a printer, USB, file, etc.

Aaron Bewley
IT Security
University of Arkansas

Carroll, John wrote:
We at Longwood have been trying to find a solution that would allow our faculty and staff to work from home while preventing them from
downloading or storing potentially sensitive data on their personal computers. One solution that we are favoring is leveraging our SSL VPN
Cisco client with the Remote Desktop to the users office computer. The issue with that appears to be the clipboard "cut and
paste", which allows you to essentially copy data from work to your personal computer. To further aggravate, the option to enable and
disable this feature appears to be with the client side (home user). I have not had much luck finding a solution on the web to disable the
"cut and paste" (rdpclip.exe) permanently. It is a Windows protected file.

Has anyone attempted to do this and found the same issue or perhaps a solution or, do we need to find an alternative
method and give-up on RDP?

Any suggestions or advice would be most welcome.

John Carroll
Information Security Office
Longwood University